Sean’s Stuff

7 November, 2008

Windows 7 Install Screenshots

I thought I’d do my part to flood the web with screenshots from the M3 preview of Windows 7 that was distributed at last week’s Professional Development Conference in LA.

The obvious place to start in Win 7 is with the installation process.  I’ll put up more posts later with screenshots of various bits and pieces in Windows 7.  But this first post will just contain: every damn Windows 7 installation screen.

Ok, admittedly, looking through install screens is about as exciting as watching bacon fat congeal.  But really—there are people out there who will eat this stuff up.  So it’s for them that I’ve suffered an endless series of screen captures.  Enjoy.

The Environment

I installed my copy of Windows 7 to a VMWare virtual machine.  The only “gotcha” was that VMWare creates a SCSCI virtual hard drive by default—which Windows 7 failed to recognize.  Simple fix—just delete the default hard drive and create an IDE drive in VMWare.

The Screens

Ok, here we go.

You just get shivers as you start to install a new Microsoft OS for the first time, don’t you?

install-05

Then we switch from a DOS-looking progress bar to a cute Windows-looking progress bar:

install-1

Next we get the first Windows 7 install screen.  This is the spot to insert the angelic music.

install-2

After picking an install language, you get to the main install kick-off window:

install-3

I once met a guy who actually read these EULAs.  Can you believe it?

install-4

This next dialog is just as confusing in Windows 7 as it was in Vista.

install-5

In my first try, I went with the Upgrade option, which only got me this next confusing empty dialog.  Nice.

install-6

Restarting everything and instead choosing Custom gets us where we want to go:

install-7

If you click on the link that reads “Drive options (advanced)”, you’ll see some options for managing hard disk partitions:

install-8

Finally, the actual installation begins.

install-9

At some point, near the end of the installation, Windows boots for the first time.  It lives!

install-10

This was an interesting detail during the boot process:

install-11

All of the services apparently start firing up, as the boot process continues.  (Hallelujah)!

install-12

And for some reason, we’re allowed to go back and look at this status dialog one more time.

install-13

And then back to the main boot screen.  (Are you starting to feel as if you were really there)?

install-14

Oh, this is a nice little touch.  No screen flickers or anything, but nice to know that it’s “checking” my video performance.  (Whatever that means).

install-15

Now Windows is more or less running and we start doing some of the final configuration stuff.  First, we specify a default username.  This will be the Administrator user account.  Seeing a PC name of “PC” also makes me think of John Hodgman and the Mac switcher ads.

install-16

And I enter my password:

install-17

And (of course) the product activation key.  Wouldn’t it be cool if every key had a barcode and I could use a barcode scanner at this point?  (My key did not have a barcode).

install-18

I also get to set my time and time zone.

install-19

This is an interesting one.  Right out of the gate, I’m asked to specify whether my network is public or not.  Like Vista, this dictates some default security settings.

install-20

I picked Home network and Windows 7 did some remaining network configuration work.

install-21

Ok, here’s one of the first really new things to show up.  A “homegroup” is basically a relabeled “workgroup”—something short of a domain.  I’m wondering if I’d chosen Work location in the earlier screen, if I’d now be joining a domain.

install-22

Finally, we are “welcomed” to Windows 7.

install-23

We’re so close, I can taste it.

install-24

And voila!  The Windows 7 installation is complete and we’re sitting at the desktop screen.  Note that I don’t have that cool new taskbar in the build that was handed out at PDC.  More on that next time—the new taskbar is actually in the build and Rafael Rivera has found a hack to unlock it.

install-25

About these ads

57 Comments »

1. Interesting how you can connect to the internet with your copy. My sound and network adapters no longer work in Windows 7. Bummer. 8^)

Comment by mybloggspot — 11 November, 2008 @ 7:25 pm | Reply

2. good but still needs the complete installation of features of the windows 7

Comment by farhan — 4 June, 2009 @ 4:16 pm | Reply

3. Hello,
    Not the network adaptors but the sound cards are generally problem. But does not affect the success of the installation. The drivers should be reinstalled.

Comment by windows-7 — 17 August, 2009 @ 1:37 pm | Reply

• cannot get my touchpad to work with 7600 build .

Comment by Varun — 29 July, 2010 @ 3:30 am | Reply

4. Thanks for this.. I have used your pictures in my college work. Hope you don’t mind!

Comment by DashTube1 — 15 October, 2009 @ 8:22 am | Reply

5. Not at all–glad that you could make use of them!

Comment by Sean — 15 October, 2009 @ 3:07 pm | Reply

6. Hi
    Its really awesome.
    Thanks

Comment by Balaji — 29 October, 2009 @ 10:09 am | Reply

7. good work..this installation screen shot will help many people in installing win7…thank you

Comment by suganya — 21 November, 2009 @ 3:24 am | Reply

8. i have a problem in picture no. 5 …. it dosent show any hard drive ?? please help

Comment by jopet — 28 November, 2009 @ 8:52 am | Reply

9. This is quite useful for my work. And the effort you put in on these screenshots. Thanks for all the hard work.

Comment by Henon Ho — 1 December, 2009 @ 4:49 pm | Reply

10. Hey, thanks for these pictures. The screen of my notebook is broken and I need to install it without seeing it -.- (Connecting to an extra monitor is not available while installing)
    Hopefully it will work :D

Comment by haihappen — 5 January, 2010 @ 7:52 pm | Reply

11. Hey !! These screenshots are actually very helpfull BUT these are only when anyone is trying to install Win 7 , HOWEVER , these are not the right screenshots if any end user is trying to UPGRADE from Win Vista to Win 7 OS …

Comment by Sam — 10 January, 2010 @ 10:46 pm | Reply

12. followed your steps my good man, Expanding windows 26%. hehe.

Comment by Akasha — 22 January, 2010 @ 7:37 am | Reply

13. hey sean… am a technician, wenever i install windows 7, i gothru ur site… thanks.. really thats useful..

Comment by fati — 29 January, 2010 @ 4:33 pm | Reply

14. Hi.. I bought a new HP laptop with windows 7 pre-installed on it. OF the 320 GB HD, 285gb is setup as C and remaining as recovery. How do i partition the 285 GB into 2 or 3 partitions. Can someone throw light on this pls..

Comment by sharath — 22 February, 2010 @ 10:00 am | Reply

15. This is helpful.
    Thanks

Comment by Anand — 11 March, 2010 @ 8:08 pm | Reply

16. Really….Goooooooood, Thanks

Comment by hari — 27 March, 2010 @ 1:23 am | Reply

17. [...] the “Repair your computer” option instead—this is all nicely depicted on Sean Sexton’s “Sean’s Stuff” website if you want to follow along as you read this story). After that, you agree to the EULA and specify [...]

Pingback by Lessons in Troubleshooting: Focus and Systematic Coverage Are Key | IT Expert Voice — 12 April, 2010 @ 6:32 pm | Reply

18. Hi,
    I want to install windows in 32 – bit version. But, how to do it? Pl. help.

Comment by Milind — 21 April, 2010 @ 11:14 am | Reply

19. Milind, what problem are you experiencing? The 32-bit version of Windows 7 is a completely separate install than the 64-bit one. What media are you installing from? Did you purchase Windows 7 as a retail DVD or upgrade?

Comment by Sean — 21 April, 2010 @ 1:43 pm | Reply

20. Hii,
    Its clearly not mentioned that form where the CD is to be booted form after inserting it in the drive-( I am speaking about the boot sequence)from the time of inserting the Cd into the drive slot-
    Please be more specific how to do a clean instillation.
    Its really an amazing work done- keep it up

Comment by Arun Kumar.G — 30 May, 2010 @ 2:20 am | Reply

21. My Touch pad has stopped working with 7600 build . It works fine with Win7 RC or Win XP ..

Any Ideas ?

Comment by Varun — 29 July, 2010 @ 3:32 am | Reply

• Did you install from a copy that you purchased a genuine license for? What is the error?

Comment by Sean — 29 July, 2010 @ 10:47 am | Reply

22. Hi Sean
    Is it necessary to install Windows 7 on icore processors, can’t it be installed with AMD?

Comment by Riju Samuel — 4 October, 2010 @ 8:48 pm | Reply

• Riju, yes you can install Windows 7 on an AMD-based machine.

Comment by Sean — 5 October, 2010 @ 1:51 am | Reply

23. Hi,
    I am ssuming the above screenshots shots are for the 64-bit version of Windows 7. Sean can you please confirm if it.
    Also can you provide screenshots for the 32-bit version of Windows 7 or direct us to a good resource.
    Thanks,

Comment by Asma — 25 October, 2010 @ 1:57 pm | Reply

24. I am so so so thank you. It is very helpful for my assignment. Thanks alot.

Comment by Sam — 18 December, 2010 @ 5:43 pm | Reply

• hi. i also have got an assignment to work on operating systems installation. would you plz send me your slides so that i may be able to show impressive work

Comment by Muhammad Aqeel Hashmi — 3 February, 2013 @ 5:49 am | Reply

• I think that perhaps you should do your own work. :O)

Comment by Sean — 3 February, 2013 @ 2:53 pm

25. thanks i made my assignment with ease

Comment by gembuin jonah gelam — 25 January, 2011 @ 1:02 pm | Reply

26. please can i hve the wireless screen shot too for windows7?thanks

Comment by gembuin jonah gelam — 25 January, 2011 @ 1:08 pm | Reply

27. Wow, thanks so much for this, we teach kids to build PCS to give them the edge when applying for work. these screenshots are exactly what I needed

Thanks

Comment by Rob Cox — 18 February, 2011 @ 10:16 am | Reply

28. Thanks Sean,
    I use this to help my customers install the copy of Win7 on there system.

Comment by Mohammed — 16 March, 2011 @ 5:33 pm | Reply

29. Hi Sean found your screenshots very useful I am finishing my first year foundation degree and have included your sceenshots in my assignment referenceing your excellent work many thanks from Big Eric

Comment by Eric Scotson — 15 April, 2011 @ 8:22 pm | Reply

30. it would be good if we had a parallel installation option included in this screen shot so that we can even save the personal data on the computer

Comment by PRADIP — 30 April, 2011 @ 9:01 pm | Reply

31. thank you so much and this screen shot installation has helped on many occassions and you rockkkkkk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Pavan — 21 June, 2011 @ 1:19 pm | Reply

32. thanks a lot for the needful help hope a great success ahead in your website

Comment by vijayshankar — 27 June, 2011 @ 6:47 pm | Reply

33. hi there.

Excellent tutorial, however I am wondering how you can capture screen shots during installation?

Are you capturing them via a phone or something?

Thanks in advance……

Comment by wonky — 24 August, 2011 @ 7:47 pm | Reply

• Thanks, good question. I ran the install in a virtual machine and then did screen captures on the host. (Normal method–Ctrl-PrtScrn).

Comment by Sean — 24 August, 2011 @ 8:23 pm | Reply

34. Excellent, thanks for your prompt reply! I appreciate it. I’m quite savvy and perform builds etc regularly, but never knew how to do this.

Cheers mate!

Comment by wonky — 24 August, 2011 @ 9:47 pm | Reply

35. Exellent:)

Comment by sajeer — 3 September, 2011 @ 5:39 pm | Reply

36. OK, how do I get the disk into the machine? I’m reinstalling on a laptop — had to replace the hard drive so it’s completely blank. The laptop has one of those disk drives that sucks the disk into the maching and I can’t get it to suck it in!

Comment by Katherine Hord — 19 January, 2012 @ 6:48 pm | Reply

• Sounds like you have some hardware problem with your CD/DVD drive–or there is already a disk in the drive.

Comment by Sean — 19 January, 2012 @ 8:24 pm | Reply

37. Thanks for this :) I had to list all the details for W7 Install for a Lab in class, which I had forgot to jot down & this came in super handy.

Comment by MAY — 1 February, 2012 @ 1:15 pm | Reply

38. Thanks a lot sean

Comment by Blessings chule — 22 April, 2012 @ 4:47 pm | Reply

39. Oh Sean, so so cool of you. Thanks.

Comment by Lockard, David M. (@DML_intrim) — 8 August, 2012 @ 12:24 pm | Reply

40. Excellent work mr. sean can you tell me if i need complete screen shot how to take it with home or office

Comment by Saifullah — 7 September, 2012 @ 10:03 am | Reply

41. Great job, Sean. Very useful stuff.

Comment by Kapil Narang — 20 September, 2012 @ 3:27 pm | Reply

42. tis very useful for me.
    but i have one small doubt.
    now when i am switchon my system
    automatically display error message
    “Enter your window key
    this copy of window is not geniue”
    what’s the problem
    pls send reply

Comment by rani — 1 November, 2012 @ 5:31 am | Reply

• You need to activate Windows and enter the product key that you received when you purchased your copy.

Comment by Sean — 1 November, 2012 @ 11:55 am | Reply

43. thank you

Comment by jim — 29 November, 2012 @ 3:40 pm | Reply

44. Awesome. I really didn’t want to reinstall Windwows to memorize these screens for my 70-680 test. Thanks so much!

Comment by Ron — 23 December, 2012 @ 6:04 pm | Reply

45. very good work…its very helpfull…..

Comment by RIAZ — 9 January, 2013 @ 9:52 pm | Reply

46. Awesome :)

Comment by Stranger — 6 May, 2013 @ 7:20 pm | Reply

47. Hi,
    Excellent documentation.
    Sorry for asking a basic question but how did you get such nice screenshots even before Windows is being installed?
    Thanks in advance.

Comment by las — 23 July, 2013 @ 5:51 am | Reply

• Ah, I see already asked and answered in #34.

Comment by las — 23 July, 2013 @ 5:53 am | Reply